This page provides easy access to WDTB's tools and applications, plus any associative documentation or training. Click on the appropriate link below
to access the information on the tool of your choice.
- BUFKIT is a forecast profile visualization and analysis tool kit developed
by the staff at the National Weather Service (NWS) office in Buffalo and
the Warning Decision Training Branch (WDTB) in Norman, OK.
- The VCPExplorer is a tool to aid in visualizing radar beam paths with
respect to the surrounding terrain and the uncertainties in echo height measurements.
Every WSR-88D and TDWR is available for viewing in the United States and its
- The Weather Event Simulator is an application developed by the staff at the Warning Decision Training Branch (WDTB) to enable the AWIPS software used in NWS WFOs to view data from previous weather events in training simulations.
- Hunter/Gatherer is a tool to download and display web cam images. Hunter is a Tcl/TK script that downloads images. Gatherer is a Visual Basic program to efficiently view and loop large quantities of images.
Radar Beam Characteristic Calculator
- Image Gallery is a PHP based web program made to view and loop web cam images. This program is used by the NWS WFOs in Juneau, Fairbanks and Anchorage. Hunter can help download images for the Image Gallery to use.
Boundary Relative Speed Calculator
- The Radar Beam Characteristic Calculator is a web application that uses a beam's elevation angle and a targets distance from the radar to calculate beam traits such as beam height, beamwidth, etc., using the standard radar beam propagation equation.
RPS List Guidance
- The Boundary Relative Speed Calculator is a web application that determines the boundary relatives speed of a storm based on storm and boundary motion speed inputs (based on Wilson and Megenhardt, 1997).
- The RPS List Guidance page provides guidance for setting up VCP-specific and event-specific RPS lists for general situations.